1. AGENDA FOR TUESDAY, 6/14/11:
We begin with roundtable introductions. Tell us what's new personally or professionally, and any networking needs. We'll give particular focus to those seeking advice, referrals, job search assistance, or simply the opportunity to disseminate business information or plug your business.
We'll keep the floor open this week -- Open Forum. Feel free to discuss any topic that might be of interest to the group, or use the extra time to talk in more detail about your current focus or anything we can help with.
2. UPCOMING TUESDAY PROGRAMS:
6/21/11: David Weaver will speak on franchising opportunities in today's market. Mr. Weaver has spent the last several years analyzing and underwriting franchise systems across the country. He offers "an alternative avenue for those executives who may be better suited for self-employment".
Here is David Weaver's Bio:
An expert in small business management: business development, finance and operations; Mr. Weaver has spent the last several years analyzing and underwriting franchise systems across the country. The purpose was to establish the “right fit” between the franchisor and finance company in order to offer the franchisee a non-SBA finance product.
Long before the financial meltdown David has been helping small businesses succeed without government assistance. Intimate knowledge of franchise systems across multiple industry segments coupled with years of interaction with franchise clients before and after they opened for business offers Mr. Weaver a true understanding for what works and what doesn’t in franchising.
Business ownership is as American as apple pie and is why Mr. Weaver chooses to spend his time sharing the knowledge and experience he has gained with others. A focus on essential business characteristics creates the individual’s ideal business model , this makes the fit between the individual and the right franchise.
David enjoys the mountains of Colorado with his two children and resides in Littleton, CO. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 877-933-0890.
3. JOB OPPORTUNITY - Sales for iRobot (Fort Leonard Wood, MO, or travel):
Bret Bowswer (USMA '94) writes as follows:
COL Gary Harber (Ret) and I worked together in G3 Plans, 8th Army Korea. He is seeking a salesperson with ties to the Army Engineer community at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. The salesperson must be comfortable selling at the Major to General level.
Starts above $100k based on experience.
Requires living at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, or traveling there regularly.
Interested folks can contact me (at email@example.com or 719-238-4717) and I will connect them. They can contact him directly as well, at firstname.lastname@example.org (a cc: to me would be great).
4. JOB OPPORTUNITIES - Xanterra Parks & Resorts (Greenwood Village, CO):
Thanks to Bob Yow (USMA '91) for passing along the two job opportunities below. Bob is VP of Business Development at Xanterra.
A. Director of Project Management
• Manage the acquisitions process, including preliminary and final due diligence, and transition/integration of the acquired asset or management agreement.
• Manage responses to RFPs, including coordination and consolidation of numerous departments’ bid responses and review of bids or proposals before submission, to ensure content is properly responsive to the RFP guidelines and Company goals.
• Develop a detailed project plan for each target acquisition, internal development project or RFP response. Communicate project plan to involved team members. Track status and ensure timing goals are met.
Preferred Work Skills and Knowledge:
• Must have previous M&A or RFP project management experience managing multiple projects at one time and proven success in delivering desired results, preferably in the hospitality and/or retail industry.
• Either: (1) a Bachelor's Degree in business administration or another relevant field, and at least 5-7 years professional project management experience in business development, park/resort/retail management, or other hospitality areas or (2) a Master's Degree in a relevant field, and at least 3-5 years professional project management experience in business development, park/resort/retail management, or other hospitality areas.
• Background as a financial analyst or business analyst with a strong financial/quantitative aptitude.
B. Director of Marketing
The director of marketing role provides a supporting role to the vice president of sales and marketing for the company, while offering additional leadership to help improve the performance of the properties. The primary responsibilities include the development and implementation of key marketing strategies to meet organizational objectives and achieve company revenue goals. This role helps to ensure the effective management of the marketing, branding, advertising (print and digital), and promotional activities of the organization.
Preferred Work Skills and Knowledge:
• Must be a self-starter, highly organized and able to work well with others in the organization.
• Strong leadership and consensus building skills; marketing management and strategic planning experience is a very high priority with a proven track record in developing and administering marketing programs. Knowledge of graphics and web development software a plus (Adobe products).
• College degree required; focus in marketing, business, or communications preferred. 10 years professional experience in marketing; experience in travel industry a plus. Ad or PR Agency experience a plus. Multiproperty experience across a wide-variety of hospitality operations is desired.
To apply for either of these postions, please visit www.xanterra.com
Xanterra’s legacy of hospitality leadership dates back more than a century, when the Fred Harvey Company began providing quality hotels and restaurants for weary travelers making their way west. Today, Xanterra Parks & Resorts is the largest national and state park concessioner in the United States. Xanterra’s operations include the national parks at Yellowstone, South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Crater Lake, Rocky Mountain, Petrified Forest and Mount Rushmore National Memorial, as well as facilities at eight Ohio State Parks and privately owned resorts in California – Furnace Creek Resort in Death Valley National Park, and Virginia – Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, Virginia. Xanterra also owns and operates the Grand Canyon Railway in Williams, Arizona, and Windstar® Cruises, a three-ship fleet of luxury yachts that explore hidden harbors and secluded coves of the world's most treasured destinations, calling at 100 ports throughout Europe, the Caribbean and the Americas.
Bob Yow (USMA ’91)
Vice President of Business Development
Xanterra Parks & Resorts®
6312 S. Fiddlers Green Circle
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
303-600-3424 | email@example.com
Have a great week.
Joe Paniccia (USMA '84)
Service Academy BizNet of Denver meets weekly on Tuesdays at 0700 in the Marriott Hotel at the Denver Tech Center. From I-25, exit Belleview east, then turn north onto Syracuse Street. While the Marriott lots are paid parking (approx $2-4), you can park for FREE across the street at Garcia's Restaurant (we have their permission). Look for us in the seating area inside the Marriott's coffee shop. RSVP is not required. Dress is casual. Attendance is open to graduates of the federal service academies (USAFA, USCGA, USMA, USMMA, USNA). Our schedule, roster and other information are posted on the web site at www.academybiznet.org